What is Palliative Care?
It is important to understand that palliative care is not hospice care. You may receive palliative care while pursuing a curative treatment. The palliative care team will focus on symptom management, side effects from treatment, fall risk, and monitor medications, while your physician focuses on your treatment. The Apex palliative care team will strive to prevent the need for rehospitalizations. The palliative care team will provide care in the comfort of the patient’s residence. Although, palliative care is not hospice care it allows patients who may soon need hospice care to successfully transition while in their home.
Here is a list of diagnoses that a person
palliative care treatment for:
- Heart disease
- COPD or other Respiratory disease
- Neurological Disease
Services a patient may receive while utilizing Apex palliative care include:
- Specially trained Home Health and Hospice nurses
- Physician oversight
- Therapy – Physical, Occupational, Speech
- Certified Home Health Aide
- Social Worker
- Blood Transfusions in the privacy of the patient’s home
- Access for Medical equipment